Beginning your book
- What to do with heaps of content
- How to set short-term writing goals
- When to start writing your book
- How to answer “Is this a book?”
- Should you outline first, or just start writing?
- Figure out your publishing strategy, and you’ll figure out your book
- Identify your audience before you start writing
- Should you write your book now, or wait?
Writing your book
- How to rewild your writing
- How to boost your writing skills when you don’t have time (or willingness) to write
- Three ways to listen more in your writing
- Your writing process doesn’t need to look like anyone else’s
- How to bring your process alive in a book
- How to finish strong and ace your writing goals
- Five practical ways to find your writing mojo
- Tips for writing a business book
- How to get your writerly house in order
- Do you write with your head, or your heart?
- How to figure out what you’re not saying in your writing
- How to build a sustainable writing practice
- How to tell the truth in your writing
- 10 ways to write more
- What is an author’s note, and do you need one?
- How to create conditions for growth in your writing
- Writing needs to feel possible
- How to find the details (and the joy)
- How to chart your writing energy
- How to maintain your idea and watch it grow
Revising your book
- A quick edit for memoir writers
- The importance of leaving time for reflection before revision
- How to build an editing mindset
- When to change direction
- Why you shouldn’t delete your manuscript
- Tips to improve your introduction
Working with your editor
- What type of editor do you need?
- How can you find your editor?
- How to pick your editor
- How should you approach your editor, and what can you expect to pay?
- How to work with your editor
- Five reasons to hire a writing coach
- How to play the long game in your writing
- Case study: Big Enough by Lee LeFever
- How an editor can help you get unstuck
Publishing your book
- Should you submit your individual essays now, or build your collection for a book?
- Identify your publishing ecosystem
- What is a book proposal, and do you need one?
Marketing your book
- How to work with beta readers
- Case study: How I marketed my book, Tracking Giants, to become an instant bestseller
- What are preorders, and why do they matter?
- What’s the difference between reviews and blurbs?
- Best practices for blurbs (and a free pitch template)
- How to create a book page that will dazzle your readers